I'm hoping that this will be a short post, since I just posted last night, but I feel like it's an important one. For anyone who reads us, they know that I have Hyperemesis Gravidum. Miserable, and I just read something last night that states that it's considered a disease. I dont want that kind of attention or any type of sympathy, because I'm thankful to normally be a very healthy person. We also have a very healthy baby so far, and what's better then that? Nothing I say :)
I've been researching the heck out of Hyperemesis because I'm really baffled as to why there's not more known about it, it's causes or why it only happens to %1 of pregnant women. I've watched interviews, I'm reading books, read online blogs and read research research research. I have to say, that I'm horrified. Mostly, with the way many doctors treat their patients in regards to this awful condition. I've read, watched and listened to people talk about how their doctors told them things like, "You arent sick, you're pregnant", or, "This condition is completely psychological", or, worse yet, "Just get over it and be happy you're preganant". Sick. Really sick.
Apparently, there's a decent reason, not great, but a decent reason that there isnt more known about it. Research is difficult because no one wants to do research on pregnant women (meds, testing etc) because of the risk to the fetus. I can empathize with that. However, arent we in 2008? There have to be safe ways, or other ways, to figure why this is happening to women. Just my opinion. I'm more thankful every day for our OB.
Even if you have mild to moderate morning sickness, some of what I found might be interesting to you. If nothing else, some of it might feel relatable. I'm going to include a link to a blog by a writer of a book that I just ordered. It's called "Beyond Morning Sickness". I'll also include some some of the video links I watched. Stay healthy out there everyone and take care of yourselves.
http://www.hyperemesisgravidarum.blogspot.com (book and blog)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVIsMGfeL44&fmt=18 (Interview with Paula Zahn on Hyperemesis)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGOqqbBCWg8&feature=related

I wonder how many women have this without ever being diagnosed at all. I can't check out the links right now, but I'm curious about it.
ReplyDeleteI wish we were closer and could do something to help the frustration level.
And Thanks again BIG TIME for all of the support you've both given to us recently.
Take care of you.