Our little princess

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, October 18, 2008

I could have sworn that someone once said we were all created equal





Hi Everyone! Michelle here. I hope that everyone's having a great weekend :) I have some interesting things to write about an interesting morning I've had. I'm not feeling too hot, but I'm not feeling awful, and in my book, that's a WIN. However, to maintain that ok feeling, I decided to rest for the most part today. Jen's at work, so the one thing I had to do, was take the dogs out. I'm getting to this story the long way, so hang in there with me.

I took Tess out first and decided to check the mail while we were out. It's on the opposite side of our condo, so we walked around the side. As we rounded the first corner, I saw an elderly couple at the second corner. We make our dogs sit until people pass so that they dont jump on anyone, or, if people are afraid of dogs, they feel more comfortable to pass. So, I told Tess to sit, she did, and we stood and waited. As the couple got closer to me, I noticed that woman was holding large Prop 8 signs and the man was holding what looked to be voter registration paperwork and a clipboard. My first thought was that they were going around getting people registered to vote. I didnt want to think my second thought.

Well, as they got to Tess and I, I said hello and good morning. They said hello and stopped. The older man asked me if I was a registered voter and I replied 'absolutely'. He then began to pull out a pamphlet that said, "Vote yes on 8, preserve marriage as we know it". I had not assumed that they were 'vote yes on 8' supporters, because here in California, you really never know. However, they were. I was still polite. I believe that everyone has a right to their opinion, and, if it's not the same as mine, then great. I wouldnt want to be just like everyone else. He then asked me if I was familiar with Prop 8? I stated, "Yes, very". He said, 'Oh, do you have an opinion on it?'

Now, if you read our blog (I know of three people, lol), you can probably guess what came next. I replied, "Yes, I just married my partner and we're expecting our second child, so I have a pretty strong opinion on it". I said it calmly, respectfully and was rather surprised that I didnt engage more then that. Actually, at that moment, I was thinking more along the lines that it was funny that of all the people this older couple could have approached on a Saturday morning, they happened to approach the very out lesbian with kids. He got a little pale, put his pamphlet back (why would they waste one on the gays?) and said, "Oh, oh, oh, ok then, well.....". Yes, he ended without saying much of anything. The woman said not one word, only standing there clutching her signs as though I might go cartoon character on her, grab them and go running off. Entertaining.

I then told him that I appreciated his asking and that I hoped that they had a great day, walked off and got my mail. They walked off and got a lot of doors unanswered and shut in their faces. While this made me feel good, I hated that I watched. They only stayed about another ten minutes and got in their van to leave. Once I got back inside with Tess, my attitude changed. I felt really bothered. Not necessarily mad, because you cant waste that kind of energy on people's ignorance. But I was pretty unhappy. I texted Jen and asked her to call me. She did and I told her the story. She laughed and said, "So you're going to go around and take down all of their signs, right?". I said of course, but it turned out that they werent yard signs, they were, put em' in your window to display signs. I felt good that as I walked around, I didnt see any.

So, I began to get bothered, as I thought about the day Jen and I got married. It was funny, because I had thought that Jen would be the one who was nervous, or what not. And, it didnt seem like it was going to be a huge deal, because we were just getting the license. Not the big ceremony, not the ring exchange etc. Well, I did feel different. Jen was able to look right at me all day, and I was the one who was nervous. Not the nervous where you're wondering what you're doing, but the "Hey, I'm really excited, and I feel like a giddy kid" kind of excited. And, I did feel different. I felt really good. Not that I dont usually, but it just felt very solidifying. Official. Just really good. It almost felt like a vindicating moment for all of the difficulties we've been through to get to where we are now.

As we received all of the paperwork, it felt good to be treated equally. We received all of the same paperwork (which is hilarious by the way). All of the same verbal advisements and options. And now, we have all of the same rights as any other committed couple. With a life together. With a child. With a second child on the way. With a home. A family. And now, potentially, there are people out there, who can take that away. All with the flick of a pen. The click of a vote stamp. Etc. We work hard. We believe in God. We have solid morals. We are everything that any other family may or may not be. Our difference is that we are two women. And this one thing, gives other people, the right, to take our rights away? That's really sad.

You know what though? Even if they do. We'll still be as great a family as we ever were. Because we're those kind of people. They said, not many yrs ago, that if interacial couples were allowed to marry, it would be the beginning of the downfall of society as we know it, and would destroy marriage. Well, it looks as though things are still running strong. I wont start on the importance of voting. Everyone knows. Cross your fingers. Hopefully Californians will do the right thing.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting hitched ladies! What a great feeling. Sorry that the gay-haters got to you. I'd hate to be exposed to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love you. i'm sorry you had to deal with that. our gay marriage amendment failed in 2004 and we were all devastated. ugh. the indignity of it all. i pray that people w ill see through their bigotism. love you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive