Our little princess

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, March 7, 2009

The T-Shirts

I never would have imagined that our T-shirts would have gotten so much attention :) They say (extra) bitter and (bitter) sweet. They are Scharffen Berger chocolate t-shirts. Until they were ousted by Hershey recently, it was the premier and amazing healthy chocolate here in the Bay area. Alas, they've now gone away and we're sad :( However, Whole Foods still has the Scharffen Berger bars. So, there's a big explanation for the shirts.

Quick question to everyone out there on a HUGE subject. Can everyone please leave thoughts etc on immunizations? We're coming up on that time, so I'm researching like crazy before we make our decision. I'd love to hear from everyone on if they did or didnt and what made you decide to do whatever it was you did? Hope that everyone's doing great :) XXOO

6 comments:

  1. hiya! congrats on your little one! my partner and i are going throught the same vaccination questioning with our little guy. we got the vaccine book, by dr. sears, to help us make informed decisions. basically, there are diff. pharmeceutical companies that make the vaccines, and the book lets you know what chemicals are in each type of vaccine, which can help you choose what you feel is best for your child (ie., aluminum, mercury). lol, when he was born a week and a half ago, we forgot the book at home, and the hospital wanted to give him a hep b and vitamin k shot... we had to hurry and research on the internet ;-) i know it's a confusing struggle, but you'll know what's best :-) good luck! and btw, addison is beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of our best friends is a pediatrician. All three of her children, including the preemies, have been vaccinated on schedule.

    I was very conservative about vaccines. We did every 3 months starting at 3 months, and it took 2 years to get caught up. They got their first round, and then successive rounds ONLY ones they had gotten before. Then when it was time to add in a new one that was the only one they got.

    We did the MMR, but NOT until they were 2 (instead of 1 like is recommended) and that was the only shot they got that day.

    We also used Motrin instead of tylenol post shots. I read a study saying something about negative aspects of using tylenol post shot instead of motrin. Not sure if it was replicated, but figured it was an easy thing to alter. Plus in my experience, motrin works faster and for longer.

    From a philosophical standpoint, I'm completely pro-vaccine. There are many children who CANNOT be vaccinated due to being immunocompromised, and if one of them was mine, I'd be damned sure the other kids around him/her were vaccinated so as not to transmit measles, whooping cough, whatever. Herd immunity is real and important. It is a personal decision, and you have to do what you feel comfortable with. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing, remember that scientific studies are published in journals with peer reviews, not on the internet on sites with no references or proof of the science behind them. The internet is full of opinions, but it's harder to find actual science. Make sure you are selective about what you use to justify or inform your decision, either way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We chose selective/delayed vaccination... which has turned into none. She's almost 3 (gah! almost three??) and I don't regret it for a minute. If you do decide to vax, i agree with Kim, one at a time is key.

    I just finished knitting addison's dress and have decided she needs booties to match. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh. my last comment disappeared in cyberspace.
    What I had said was this...it is entirely your decision. We felt like we really did our research and made the best decision for our child. But this can be a hot topic for people who don't believe in immunizations.

    My best friend is a pediatric nurse who got her education and training at UPenn and Children's Hospital in Philly. She was very helpful in educated us about the pros and cons and what the research really shows (UPenn and CHOP are both on the forefront of research in regards to vaccines).

    We followed the immunization schedule provided by the pediatrician. Our doc was also very helpful in explaining each vaccine.

    Whatever you choose - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do delayed and selective. I don't believe in giving EVERY one suggested, but I believe some are beneficial and choose to allow my children to get them...but usually way past when they are recommended and their bodies can tolerate them better. My best suggestion is to find a doctor that parents like you do and has similar believes in immunizations and ask what they suggest. Argue with them, ask them questions and make your decisions.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive