Our little princess

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 12, 2009

What do you do?

This is short tonight, but I'm hoping to get a lot of ideas. Since our schedules are about to become beyond crazy, I'm planning. Planning on trying to make things run as smoothly and simply as possible. Ie; laundry will be done on Fridays, using the crockpot on busy days etc.

What I'm looking for are ideas from other moms and families. What do you do that makes your day run just a little bit easier? Basically, tips on making a tight schedule work. Meal planning, child ideas and so on and so forth. Any and all ideas are more then welcome :)

5 comments:

  1. 1.) FAMILY CALENDAR!!! Put all work hours, appointments, schedules, etc. on it. Place it in an easily seen area in the home and USE it.

    2.) Meal plan. Make out a grocery list and a list of meals. Cross off each meal as it's made so the other person knows the ingredients may be gone.

    3.) Take twenty minutes a day, no matter what, to do a quick pick up.

    4.) Put a notebook in an easily seen and accessible place to leave general or specific notes about what is going on, things you need to remember to tell one another, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the meal planning is a big one, especially now that the boys are eating normal food at all meals. It would make a huge difference for me if I prepped breakfast before going to bed, since they now want to eat immediately upon waking and mornings are so groggy for me.

    Having the diaper bag cleaned out and packed the night before would also be a boon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meal meal meal planning. I make a menu once a week, and build in left over nights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've learned throughout my different stages of mommyhood that adjusting my mental game is as important as being physically prepared with meal plans, etc. I'm very type A: everything has its place and should be in it; there's a schedule we should keep to it; I'll take charge of whatever needs to get done, etc. But the reality is between two kids, homework for both, dance classes, soccer, Girl Scouts, housekeeping, swim classes, home business and all the other many extra activities things often end up out of place and our schedule often runs awry. I've had to learn that that's OK!

    KNOW, ACCEPT and EMBRACE the idea that things won't always go as planned - roll with it. It's ok and even necessary to ask for help - that's NOT a sign of weakness. Reduce your housekeeping standards - maybe the house will go an extra day or two before getting cleaned; that's OK! Learn to say "no" when asked to do/volunteer for additional tasks if you already feel tapped out. I'm the type of person who wants to help EVERYONE and take on EVERYTHING just to make it easier for others. I really hate saying "no." But, I've learned the hard way that sometimes, I really need to say that nasty word (as politely as possible of course - LOL!). I'm still working on this piece of my own advice...don't take on too much!

    These have all been learned behaviors for me over the years. I was always used to having everything "just so" and my schedule timed "perfectly" and everything organized down to a "T". Knowing, accepting and embracing that this isn't always the case now has been liberating emotionally for me and has reduced the stress-level immensely.

    On a meal-planning level....we OFTEN have the same dinner two nights in a row. When I'm making a dinner I just make enough for two nights...LOVE leftover nights; so easy.

    All the best to you as you embark on this new chapter. I have no doubt you'll find your groove and it'll all work out nicely! :)

    Big Hugs,
    Connie Henyan

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm here for the first time. I would add, get a really good structured baby carrier and use it. I prefer the ergo. You can do lots of work and such with it on. (laundry, bed making, dog walking, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive