Our little princess

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, July 26, 2010

A Man like You


You stepped into the shoes of a man who couldnt have filled yours.

Never treated me like a red-headed step anything.

You loved me as though you'd held me from the first day I breathed in life.

At the age of three, you taught me that I could do anything and took me to Martial Scotty's. The premiere pony stable of that time in San Diego. I only rode level one once. You knew I was better. On our third visit, you had me riding level three, the top level.

I never looked back. I'm proud to say now that I've been riding for 35 years.

You'd tell her not to worry when I'd ride my Big Wheel for miles on the beach at dawn. You loved me enough to let me go, because you knew I was always coming back.

You were firm, but fair, and always working against her current. I wouldnt know anything about that until years later.

You had a gentle kindness that you've lost over the years, but I was the lucky one who got to experience it. She changed your view on life, and while the responsibility is ultimately yours, I understand.

You were never too rushed to remember to kiss me goodnight, or play Adam Ant. You didnt know he was a rock star. To you, it was a tickle game that never grew old.

You never wanted me to be limited. You taught me to cook. Clean. Rebuild the 440 horsepower engine on a 69' Pontiac Firebird. Arc weld. Fiberglass an auto body. Build. You taught me I could build anything. My gold medal for winning the entire West Coast FFA project competition proved that.

You gave me a work ethic that few people know anymore.

I credit you with my self confidence. You gave it to me early. It was one of the greatest gifts I've ever received.

I was unstoppable. Unbeatable.

So, even later, when you tried to tear it down because my body grew, you had already created an inpenitrable fortress of confidence.

You left a lot behind after she left you. You changed. And yet, you still call me your favorite. I forgive you your flaws, because you gave me so much, when someone else walked away. Because I know where you came from, and sometimes, those things are so engrained, that an unconscious life doesnt allow change.

I've watched you cry, and held you like you were the child.

Thank you for the building blocks. I use them every day.

Thank you for the skills. They have shaped my life.

Even though things are different now, I'm thankful for your unconditional love during my childhood. I choose to focus on your good, because you arent aware of anything else.

I'll always love you because without you, I wouldnt be who or where I am today.

And because you taught me that biology has no affect on Love.

2 comments:

  1. This. This. This touched me in ways I can't explain, but ways that mean so much. I love you Michelle!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive