Our little princess

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Addison loves........????


There's kind of a running joke between certain sets of parents we know. We tease that Lachlan will be Addison's future husband and they will have beautiful grandchildren for all of us. When I say this however, I get responses like, "How do you know? Maybe she'll marry Ruby?" or "I so want her and Simone to date" to "She and J would be the best couple!" It's a really fun and cute running joke. Tonight though, it made me wonder a bit.

I've never heard of any straight parents worrying about their children's sexuality. Well, not in the sense that I feel gay and lesbian parents do. I'm sure that some overly macho, insecure men worry about their boys becoming gay and that some overbearing and insensitive mothers pray that their daughters arent 'ssshhh, Lesbians'. What I mean however, is, most straight parents dont say "Oh no, I hope Johnny doesnt turn out to be straight" or "I hope Beth isnt looking at boys". The awesome parents I know, dont give a flying eff. Some of the crazy parents I know hope for their children to be gay or lesbian for another reason to embrace them in life. I love you guys for that.

Gay and Lesbian parents worry about other things I think in regards to this issue. Some of us hope for our children to go down the heterosexual road. Out of fear that otherwise, they'd have to go through many of the trials and tribulations that we have and continue to. None of us want that for our children. We want them to live in a world that loves and accepts them for who they are and embraces who they are to become.

Some of us fear that if they were homosexual, that they'll experience hate, prejudice, shallow thinkers. It all stems from our own personal experiences I'm sure. The truth of the matter is, they'll probably experience some of, if not all, of these things in the world, regardless of how their sexuality turns out. One of the best things about many of the straight and gay parents I know is, that, in the grand scheme of things, the only thing that they want, is for their children to be insanely happy. No matter what that looks like in their future. Isnt that what any parent, gay or straight wants?

I'm a little jaded in my opinion of my parent friends, gay and straight. I feel that they're extra awesome and amazing parents, because most of them have had to work so hard and for so long, just to get to that point. Not to discredit other parents out there, but I feel that they are a cut above, because they really had to work to be parents. Hard. These people are open minded, kind, loving and completely human. In the end, we all worry, like any other parent. About things in general, and things that are unique to our situations. So, little Addison, what I want for you most is to be a great human being. And if that means that you love and marry Ruby, then I'll love you as much as ever. And Ruby too ;)

4 comments:

  1. You really can't project your hardship (with being gay) with (if she will be) gay on addison. Because most of the rejection LGBT folks have is with their families. Not to mention the pain and hardship you went through had a lot to do with your generation, people in her generation are so much more accepting. Maybe addison maybe will never even see sexual orientation, just who she loves. The younger generation is a totally different world than us. I thnk wether she is straight or gay she is going to find so much love and acceptance, because her mommys teach her to be accepting. I like your blog,

    stephanie Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I didnt think I was projecting, just sharing. And, 'my generation' made me kind of laugh. I'm not THAT old lol. I, personally, have had a great experience with my parents and my gayness, so all of my hardships have been outside of that. I do agree that the up and coming generations are more accepting, and Addison being who she is now, will definitely only see love :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Something I really hadn't thought too much about, but very interesting hearing about it from your perspective. Miss you guys!

    Cathy, Jack and Mia D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always joke about Simone ending up a lesbian. I think a part of me WOULD breathe a sigh of relief if that happened because it would make it easy for me to relate to her, but really what will make me happiest is for her to be confident and self-reliant enough to take good care of herself and her partner of any gender and also to not have to have a partner to feel fulfilled or accepted in society.

    As far as sexual orientation goes, I think I worry far more about what school will be like for her growing up in conservative Indiana with a lesbian mom-- particularly given that the public school system where we live is pretty awful and she'll probably need to go to private school. And most of the private school options are Catholic.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive