
Hot button of the 21st Century? People think they know what it is. Let me tell you a couple of things....
Political - I am a Democrat and think that Obama is the leader that this world and nation needs right now. He cant do things overnight, so I find it sad that just because he didnt find the 'insta-cure' people were looking for, that now they're saying he's the wrong man for the job. Bullshit.
Religious - I believe in God. I believe that there are higher powers and strengths around us that we can only imagine exist. I however, do not subscribe to religion nowadays. I feel that people who offer themselves up as 'religious' often come across as the most judgmental people I've ever met. Doesnt seem very Christian-like to me. I feel that there are good people everywhere and if they're positive, good energy people, I really dont give a crap what religion you are, or, for that matter, if you're not any kind of religion.
I've just listed two topics that are supposed 'hot button' topics, that you're never supposed to talk about with friends, at parties, or other social events. However, I think really, in the grand scheme of things, that they're nothing. Nothing but idle chatter compared to talking to strong mamas and/or miscellaneous people about immunizations.
I am surprised at how quickly people who like and support each other, will go toe to toe when it comes to this subject. I've seen Facebook postings on the subject quickly go to close to a hundred comments of back and forth opinions. People posting thoughts and condemning other people for what they think is right or wrong about how another is treating their child.
It really has become the topic on which, I shirk at conversing about or making comments on. Not that I'm afraid of anything mind you; but I enjoy the mama community and everything involved in it.
Now, I know some tough and strong mamas, some of the best ever. I believe that these mamas have the right to do what they think is best for their child. It seems wrong to me that anyone, especially other mothers, would chastise them, for doing what they feel is right. Opinions are one thing, imposing your will and choices are completely another. Mother's support for one another should be unfailing. Information should be shared, not fed with a fork (yes, I meant to say fork). I also think that on the flip side of that, all of us as mothers, should be open to new information and glean from it what we would like. Turning your nose up at any information as a mother is like saying you've got all the answers, and I'm pretty sure that no mother does.
Immunization. So prevalent nowadays. When we 30 somethings were kids, it wasnt even questioned. We got our shots, like it or not. It was a different world. And now, we're in different times. I dont know that I ever heard a parent question the safety of an immunization or the after affects of it. Not at any fault of our parents either. You really trusted your doctors and pediatricians back then. It was an age where you went to the same doctor from age 5 to age 18. I remember seeing my pediatrician at 19, because he'd been my doctor almost my whole life.
It's different now. The world, is different now. The first time I said that we didnt want to have Addison immunized to someone, I was met with, "How can you do that to your child?" and "They'll never let your child go to school". I appreciated your chiding and unsolicited opinion, but really, to all of that, I say, bullshit, and thanks.
We are fortunate with Addison's ped. He's a really great ped number one. Number two, he's open to hearing whatever we have to say, ask etc and meets us with objective information, information we feel is honest and truthful. He will get us any information we ask of him and he is patient and honest. He is also open to doing whatever it is that we'd like him to either do, or not do. We are fortunate. We have friends who are not so fortunate. Some are tongue lashed and ridiculed for asking questions or seeking information. From what we've heard, it sounds more like their peds feel as if they're questioning their skill as a doctor, instead of just hearing it for what it is; parents wanting what's best for their child.
If my friends immunize their children or not, is their business. I will continue to love them and their children, either way. I will continue to say "There's an amazing mama and my strength feeds off of hers". I will not say "She doesnt do what I do for my children, so I cant be associated". I will continue to listen to the information shared by mothers on why they do or do not immunize. I will continue to support those mothers of children affected poorly by the immunizations they've received. As for Addison, the subject of whether she is or isnt immunized, will stay off the market. If you looked at her right now, would you really know? I doubt it. I'm pretty sure you'd just look at her and say, "That's one healthy lookin' baby". Oh, and "Boy, she really is cute" ;)

Hey mamas...You know that we've chatted about this before. I agree, for some reason we judge each other (mothers as a whole, not you guys and us specifically) for our choices on this one. But I don't think it stands alone. I think parenting choices in general (disposable or cloth, breastfeed or formula, organic or gerber) get judged by other moms.
ReplyDeleteAs for this particular topic, I am a highly cautious pro-vaccine Momma. I continue to be a skeptic with regards to the aggressiveness of the current vaccination schedule, and I will continue to be conservative on how many shots my children get at any one time. I waited on their MMR until they were 2, and it was the ONLY shot they got that visit, despite being scheduled for more.
That said, H1N1 - as soon as we have access, we will get. I'm not looking to start a debate, but as an asthmatic whose children are yet too young to necessarily know if they are asthmatic - I am taking every precaution I can.
What bothers me is not whether or not families choose to vaccinate, it's when they make those choices based on unproven theories and junk science. I've had someone tell me that the "flu" isn't respiratory, and a little "throwing up" wasn't worth the risk of the shot. THIS is the kind of crap that drives me insane. This is someone who is not making an informed decision.
I freak out every time my kids get their shots. For days after. But I also know a kid with cancer. And she relies on the kids around her to be vaccinated because her immune system cannot handle being exposed to the childhood diseases that are out there.
Do I think vaccines are the end all be all? No. But I do think they are necessary.
Oh I am so so so tired of the mommy wars. sigh.
ReplyDeletere: vax, my issue is when people do whatever they do 'because the doctor said so' or 'because my friends told me'. Anything that affects your childs health should be researched, and considered on a child by child/family by family basis.
I have friends who vax fully, and friends who don't vax at all, and some that do selective/delayed. I respect all of their choices and hope they respect mine. :) xo xo
Alot of people rely on only information from the mainstream media regarding vaccines and wether or not they are safe. There are some terrific doctors out there who are breaking the mold and exposing alot of disception in the vaccine wars, the sad thing is that there information is ignored by the mainstream media because they fear the loss of advertising dollars from Big Pharma. Russell Blaylock is a great doctor who has a ton of information on vaccines and safety. I am firmly with Korin. Please respect my choice as much as I respect yours, look outside the box as well as listening to your pediatrician. I wish I had been more informed and open minded when I vaxed my son who had a horrible reaction to the seasonal flu vaccine in 2004. It can happen and it does.
ReplyDelete