I had really wanted to post on my feelings regarding what happened in Maine and all of the gay marriage stuff floating around right now, but I'm way too tired. I'm going to bed early tonight to recharge and promise you a hot post on that tomorrow. So, now, I will chat briefly on sleep issues.
Many of the mamas I know are having sleeping issues with their children. And children of all ages. From 3 months to 3 years. It doesnt leave me feeling hopeful. No. It doesnt.
Our big sleep issue right now, other then at times having a 9 month old who wakes like a one month old, is going to sleep at night. We read that Addison may possibly be going through some separation issues, especially at bedtime. No shit. We have had the same routine since we brought her home from the hospital, and, when we travel, wherever we end up, we try our best to keep that routine. So, routine isnt it.
The nightly routine is: dinner, time with Mommy J after work, bath with Mommy J, bottle with a little rice cereal, a little cuddle and burp and then nigh nigh's. Lately, the nigh nigh, has been a nigh nightmare. We put her down and she has a fit. I'm talking a full blown, tears flowing, lungs blaring, face turning red and splotchy, boogers flying nightmare. Now, she is teething her top two teeth. And I'm telling you, these suckers are huge, but we try to take care of that with a little extra something in her bottle and a little somethin' on the gums.
No dice, she's just miserable. The other night, we ended up bringing her to bed and letting her fall asleep between us, which, really, neither of us minds at all. She was super cute and sweet and at least she slept. She moved a lot though. A lot. Add the dog at the end of the bed, Jen's work wake up time as 4:15am and you've got an equation for low quality sleep. On all ends I think.
I'm not a big napper, or at least, I didnt used to be. If I get good sleep at night, I'm prime for the day. Up and ready to go. Lately, I've felt exhausted. I feel like when she goes down for a nap, if I can get her to sleep for more then 20 minutes, that all I want to do is go to sleep or just sit. Just sit on the couch and let my eyes fall. However, it seems like anytime I put my head down, she's awake. I dont know if she senses that I'm about to get a little rest, or what, but she's up. She also hates to be put down. She's really really really attached. This is fine, most of the time. However, at the moment, with 20 minute naps, or no naps at all and up at ungodly hours in the morning, housework to do, meals to cook, in general, it does not bode well for me.
Lately, I am pretty much still in the same boxers and t-shirt that I woke up in when Jen gets home. My workouts are suffering. Badly. My hair isnt getting done, I never put on shoes or socks (not that I'm too into shoes anyway), getting a shower in seems like a treat, makeup never makes it to my face and I basically look like a zombie, waking or going to bed. I floss a lot, which may end up being my saving grace.
I'm kind of tired of looking for answers right now. I'm sure that this is only because my exhaustion levels are peaking, because otherwise, I'm looking under every rock to find a solution. So. To all of you tired mommies out there, here's to you. Here's to me. Here's to going to bed at 7:22pm because we were actually able to get her to sleep after an hour and I really dont know when she's going to wake up. I hope that all of the other non-sleepers out there, give you a little peace tonight. Love to all....

you know i have no answers. just sympathy, empathy and all the other pathies. xo
ReplyDeleteI have so been there-- to the point where my house fell apart, she slept with me every night, and I closed my eyes every time she closed hers.
ReplyDeleteI have one piece of assvice-- not about getting her to sleep but about getting some sleep yourself. If there is someone in your life who she is content to hang with overnight or even just for a few hours, let them keep her while you get a full 6-8 hours of sleep to catch yourself up-- be it daytime or night. You need it, and you'll be better able to deal with whatever she throws at you the next day.
It's that red hair...I'm telling you!!
ReplyDelete