
Today's post is more of a question then a post.
How has, if at all, Facebook affected your everyday life?
Facebook came into our house towards the end of my pregnancy with Addison. Jen loved it, but I didnt want anything to do with it. I was really enjoying my blog and reconnecting with people through it. It pretty much met my social interaction quota while stuck in bed for six months.
A few months after Ad was born, and after a lot of encouragement from Jen, I created an account.
I really enjoyed it at first. Anyone who knows me knows I fell in love with Mafia Wars. Lame I know, shoot me, what do you want? Lol. I reconnected with a LOT of people I havent talked to in years, or just havent been able to locate. It was interesting how much old information Facebook was able to get off of my computer, that I wasnt even able to. But, each time I logged on, there was another group of people Facebook had located through information on my laptop.
It was fun. I'm an avid cook/baker and I found people I connected with when it came to that. I was able to talk about recipes, post about cooking which is my geeky fun.
I've been able to post and share pictures of Addison, see other people's families, be curious, nosey or just catch up.
It is consuming to a point though. Thankfully, I do NOT have mobile Facebook. I'm not FB on my phone yet. Maybe I wont be at all. Not for a while anyway. I dont find it consuming in the aspect that I feel like I have to post all of the time, I just want to see what everyone else is doing, who's talking about what, see new pictures, play Mafia Wars, tend to my Farm and on and on and on.
I found that if you're away from Facebook for more then a few days at a time, you feel like you missed an hour and 45 minutes of a 2 hour movie. You're so behind lol.
As much as I protested it in the beginning, I have to admit; I like it.
That is, I DID like it. Now, it's just ok. They decided, as I guess they do with all products, that it needed some 'improving'. The improvements suck and I really hate that you dont get photos, updates etc all in one stream. All I can do for now is go back and forth and hope that someone comes out with a new Old Facebook application.
I dont do any of the other apps, Twitter and whatever else might be out there. I blog, I Facebook and I check some email.
I'm curious though. How do you like Facebook, do you use it, how has it affected your everyday life?

yes it has! same as you, i love reconnecting and reforging friendships from the past... yet some days it does seem consuming. I don't do any fb games, but do have fb mobile. And you have to admit, some of my fb mobile updates are pretty funny. ;) how else would i post pix of my gay socks?
ReplyDeletebesides, i LOVE that it seems like you're right there, and i can know what you're up too. it's awesome. :)
I use it like crazy. Got dangerous when I got a Blackberry. I had to learn rules and set boundaries to use it without stress though. I don't friend co-workers unless they're someone I wouldn't mind hanging out with on a Saturday. I also learned not to list relationship status at all. If I have someone I don't want to know everything about my life (bc you never know what a friend might reveal about you in a comment or in a tagged picture), I prohibit them from seeing almost all of my information. I don't mind being out of the closet at all, but it does get annoying when a casual acquaintance who is a Facebook friend sees me at the grocery store and knows all about my weekend.
ReplyDeleteOh, another rule-- if you were a jerk in high school, I have no desire to know you better now.
Hey!! Finally caught up with your blog again - can't believe you're doing NaBloPoMo too, that'll be great! Fab to see all is well... little Addison is so cute.
ReplyDeleteAs for FB, I avoided for years (literally) and then joined for work reasons. I hate it. Don't get me started on it! Ooh, that might be a NaBlo post for me if I get stuck ;o)
Welcome back to blogland!
I like it in terms of being able to reach more people in the Down syndrome community. It also allows me to keep in touch with the four family members I have left that acknowledge me. I don't get into everyone else's business, but look at some pictures, etc. every now and then. I think it's as important as one makes it....but it can be addictive!
ReplyDeleteI've avoided it thus far. My life is too short for Facebook.
ReplyDeleteI love it :)
ReplyDeleteI don't do the farm stuff, or mafia wars, but they are sooo popular - seems like everyone is doing them!!!
so sorry sleep is so hard to find at your place. same in our house!!!
ps. so glad you guys like the design of the month!!
xoxo