Our little princess

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Horses



I wasnt sure about what I was going to blog about until just this very moment. I'm laying in bed next to Jen and watching Last Samurai.

Horses.

I dont know how many of you know much about horses, or have ever gone for a ride, but it is my peace.

I love a lot of people and things in my life that I love dearly. Hopefully anyone reading this will understand when I say that horses are my 'peace'.

I've been riding since I was three years old. We lived in San Diego and I already loved horses. I'm sure that I was born just looking for one. When my mom married my dad, he began to take me to a little stable in Ocean Beach (of all places), called Martial Scotty's. Now, this was heaven for me. They had three rings. The first was for beginner riders and the ponys never went faster then a walk, you were strapped to the saddle and you were basically in a live ride with rails on either side of you and the pony.

The second ring was for when you were 'movin' on up' and knew a little more about how to stay on. No more straps, the rails widened out a few feet, but were still close in case anything happened. The third ring was the coup d ta if you will, the brass ring for a five year old lol. Wide open ring, no boundries and these ponys were movin'! You could walk, trot, lope, whatever you wanted to do, and you could go, wherever you wanted to go within the confines of the facility.

I eventually moved on to 4-H, FFA and other realms of farm animals and ways to get to ride. I trained and showed dressage. People watch that and think it looks simple, but it's not. You're basically 'talking' to a horse with every muscle in your body so that you dont 'look' like you're doing anything but sitting there. It's exhausting and beautiful. I actually had the honor for a short time, after moving to the bay area, of training with Gail McGuffey, an Olympic gold medalist in the sport.

Back to my explanation on 'peace'. Think of the one thing you can do, when the world is falling apart, you're at your wits end, you're absolutely empty, that gives you a space to breathe in, if you will. You dont think of anything else going on in your life, no matter how bad things are, you're there. You're present and you have that time, to just be. Nothing gets in to that space.

Horses are my peace. I can go ride, maybe not even ride. Maybe just brush, wash, walk, whatever, a horse, and I am in my own world. It's me, the horse, and utter, complete peace. Nothing gets in, and, unfortunately, nothing gets out. My father told me growing up that I had a 'gift' when it came to animals and that he wished we had more money, because he'd never seen anyone so in tune with horses. Now, I'm no horse whisperer or anything, but I do connect well and on a different level with them.

I almost cant put in to words how I feel when I ride. I can literally tune out anyone and anything around me. I feel, complete, easy, soft, rhythmic, full....I could go on an on. I guess the best way to put it would be to say that any word related to a peaceful feeling, would be it. The love and connection I have for horses is the same in strength as it was when I was a child. I dont know that many of us can say that about a lot of things at our age.

The first horse I ever owned personally was Hollywood. He was a Thoroughbred rescue racehorse. He was beautiful. I was able to get him shortly after moving to the bay area. Unfortunately, my ex was half owner and out of bitterness, made me sell him after we split. I enjoyed my time with him though and I thought that I'd share a few pictures with you here. I'll have horses again one day. Until then, I'll find my peace wherever and whenever I can :) I miss you buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive