Jul. 28th, 2008
location: Umm, bed, lol. Same train, different horse
mood: high
Hi All!
Well, today has been a pretty decent day. It's funny, because prior to getting pregnant (and I remember this with our first son), you have all kinds of 'ideals'. I think with the second child, they are more hopes and desires, but you have them nonetheless. Our son is 15, so when I had him, my morning sickness was as bad, but I had to literally suffer it out. This time, we were hoping that it wouldnt be as bad. It is, but prior to it coming to a head, we had talked about how we didnt want to take any medications. I mean, who really wants to pump their body full of anything but love when you're pregnant?
We spent months with a nutritionist after two years of unsuccessful IUI's, cleaning up our diets and doing everything we could to get healthy. We figured that if the tests all said that I should be getting pregnant, then maybe there was more we could do. I say we, because Jen went along for the ride. At first involuntarily, but once I started cooking every night, I didnt hear one complaint >:) I think that that tweak in our lives worked, because our first insemination three months after the dietary changes, we became pregnant. We had hoped that since our bodies had changed so much to this point, that maybe we'd miss out on the sheer joy of spontaneous vomiting. Not a chance.
So, after about 2 weeks of violent puking, sleepless nights and deciding that you'd rather perform your own dental work then smell food again in your life, we talked to the OB about medications. She explained a few to us and as in a previous blog, had us try a few. Things have been a bit like a roller coaster. We actually had a great day on Saturday! I was barely nauseous and thought that maybe week 12 really is the breaking point. That was, until Sunday arrived. Aside from a migraine (an unfortunate side effect of Zofran) Sunday was Puke-O-Rama 08'. In case you missed it, reruns are being shown on Pay per view at $12.95 a shot. Riveting.
Thankfully, I had an OB appt today. Unfortunately Jen had to work, so I had to update her later. My OB walked in and asked how things had been going and when I started to tell her, for whatever reason, tears began to roll down my face. She kindly handed me the tissue box and told me that I was right on schedule for migraines from the Zofran and that it was time to rearrange the meds again. She also prescribed Vicodin. Now, we had quite a lengthy discussion about this. I asked, of course, how Vicodin would affect the baby.
She explained to me that I would only be taking one at a lower dose and only at the onset of a migraine. The affects are moderate to zero on the baby if taken as directed. We did an ultrasound, and our little bundle's heart was beating away. She actually (I only say she because I hate the way 'It' sounds) did a few flips and looked like she was having a good ol' time. That was great as far as I was concerned. I know that I'll recover, so as long as the baby's fine, then mentally, I'm great. So, the new schedule was: two more weeks off of work (at least)/1/2 of a Phengren at night/Zofran during the day ONLY as needed(I had stopped taking them on Friday altogether in hopes of getting rid of the migraine)/and 1 Vicodin at the onset of a headache.
Well, I still had the headache today that I've had for the past five days. So, I came home, drank an Ensure and took a Vicodin. I have to say, as against it all as I was, I feel REALLY good. I never really put anything into my body before I got pregnant. Wasnt much on taking prescription or over the counter stuff, so I'm sure that my body's a little more sensitive to even lower doses of medication. So, this one Vicodin, has been great. I feel like I'm floating on a cloud. I'm comfortable and for the first time in a week, I have no headache. I'm sure that the wee one is taking a nap right now too.
So. Thank you pharmaceutical companies for your contribution to responsible society. On to the dog reference in the title today. We have a Boxer (pics to come) and a Stafforshire mix. They are great dogs and very loving. They're funny, because they usually gravitate to the one of us who ISNT calling them. Their way of making the other jealous I'm sure. Lately though, they've been extra loving. Tess the Boxer, loves to sit and watch me while I throw up. I'm not sure if she thinks I'm dying, or wants to see if anything comes up whole that she can tear off with. Jersey the Staff is like cleanup. She'll come snuggle after I've crawled back into bed. Offering me a warm body on my tummy. Both are funny though, because they've sniffed at my belly as though they know what's going on. I have no doubt that they do.
Ok, this blog is getting long. I think that my first few probably will be. I tend to get chatty when I write. I have to write on one more subject though. Other people's blogs. They have really saved my sanity for the last month. I search online for all kinds of pregnancy and lesbian family blogs. I read things that are relatable and/or heart warming and it just reminds me that another chapter of joy is coming our way, even after all of the heartache.
A few of my favorites right now are:
Two Mommies and a Meatball - http://2mommies.wordpress.com/
These two women have a loving relationship that's gone through all of the hard work and trials that great long lasting relationships do. The outcome? The SHMOO!! Unbelievably cute little man. A must-read.
Two Georgia Mommies - http://twogeorgiamommies.blogspot.com/
I've actually been reading this one for the entire two years we've been TTC. I havent read it in a while because you have to be an invited member of blogspot to read. I'll be doing it, I just havent yet. Another great blog. They went through a lot of heartache to get pregnant. If you've been trying for a long time, reading this from their inception will give you a lot of strength and hope.
Hatchling - http://hatchling.wordpress.com/
This is a young blog. However, I think that young(er) lesbians in the earlier stages of their relationships need the support of the ones who have been in longer relationships and gone through the hardships that face not just lesbian, but any long term relationship. They are at the tip of TTC and having issues with family. Compelling and true to life, I enjoy reading the developments.
We are Fambly - http://wearefambly.wordpress.com/
Yes, I'm a Word Press addict. This is just a really great, sweet blog. I'll make you read it to find out more.
Of course, everyone knows LesbianDad, Mombian and many other really great larger scale blogs out there. Sometimes though, it's nice to hear and read the raw side of life and feel like you're just as human as the next person. Hope everyone out there is doing well today :)

No comments:
Post a Comment